Friday, June 25, 2010

Lawn-free in New West, BC



This is it. We no longer have a front lawn. No more mowing! Of course, what we have now is a bunch of dirt, but we're working on that.

This evening, the plan is to cover the front boulevard with seeds for Easy Care Groundcover from West Coast Seeds. According to their catalogue, it's a "perennial mix of slow-growing grasses and drought-tolerant flowers." That means no watering either! The mix contains fescues, ryegrass, clover, English daisies, white yarrow, baby blue eyes, and white alyssum.

I'm a bit nervous about it all. I don't do well with seeds, but I suppose that's just the way it is for people with brown thumbs.

7 comments:

  1. Good idea! I've been wondering if it's possible to have a moss lawn that stays green and doesn't need mowing. Hope the wild flowers work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Barbara. We live in New West I'll keep an eye on your blog to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Good luck and have fun with all that time you are not mowing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Four people monitoring our progress. The pressure's on!

    Jacquie, we used to have a lot of moss in the side yard (and very little grass), so I figured I'd try a moss garden. Next thing you know, grass started to overtake the moss. Sometimes, you just can't win...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now there's five. The new side yard is definitely an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update: The ground-cover seed was awful. We are going with thyme this year, and with luck, next year the entire boulevard will be covered. I'll post an update on the boulevard once I take some photos.

    ReplyDelete